Header Ads

‘My dad was very sad when I was attacked at Senator Adeleke’s funeral’

Oluwayemisi Idiat Babalola, former Osun State Commissioner for Federal Matters and the first child of the former Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) Deputy President-General, the late Alhaji Sakariyau Olayiwola Babalola, spoke with TAJUDEEN ADEBANJO on the demise of her father and the attack on her during the funeral of Senator Isiaka Adeleke.

How did you receive the news of your dad’s death?

I spoke to him a day before he died and there was no sign. He had back pain; though it was nothing to worry about due to the way he sounded that day. He  sounded well than that in the past, but that particular day I asked ‘Daddy, are you okay’? He responded that he was fine and I can deduce happiness in his voice.  I just took it for granted that Daddy will be here for many years. He summoned his children and told us many things that happened… and the moment he sees that you are in panic mood, he will just say that ‘Ko ti ya nisiyii.’ (It is not time for me to die). He lived a worthy life. I am so happy for the legacy he left behind.

What has been his impact on your life?

My father has been my mother, my father, my friend and my mentor. I am yet to see a friend like him; I am yet to see a father like my dad. It is not about exaggerating; he was my everything.

What are the particular things you will miss in him?

His advice, I will miss his advice. Whatever happens, he always says the truth no matter the situation and when terrible things happened, he will tell you everything happened for a reason and we should always give thanks to God. I will remember him for his good nature, his social skills. I can say these are more reasons my father was so loved by many. I was in an office, and I mentioned my name and a guy said ‘are you Alhaji Babalola’s daughter’? and I said ‘yes’. He said ‘you are the firstborn’ and I said ‘yes’ and the guy said ‘I am the firstborn; you are the second born’ and since that time, we have been inseparable. His legacy and name have opened a lot of doors for me and even my work and everywhere I go. I just pray that we can live up to his standard.

What did you think Nigerians can emulate from him?

Oneness, my father was a detribalised man. He doesn’t see Igbo, he does not see Hausa as another tribe but he sees everybody as one. He doesn’t look at Christians or Muslims as a barrier as long as we are humans. He used to tell us that ‘you don’t know the stuff your father is made of’. He was a special specie and as I tell you, his death is still very painful.

What exactly is the relationship between you and him?

The relationship (pause) … like I said my father is my best friend and when he took me abroad I was only 17 years, he took me to school. When he was about leaving, I started crying. Do you know my father cancelled his flight and stayed with me for weeks? I remembered when I was in the United States, I had a particular problem and one of my siblings told him and he said ‘why are you bothered’? You should always come back to your source. That is why I am here’. So, his was a real father. I can’t describe him.

The day you were attacked during Senator Isiaka Adeleke’s burial, how did your dad receive the news?

He was at the place of the funeral when I was attacked. Well, of course, he was upset and he felt bad that the people should have given him that respect and honour that he was there. He was very sad; he was not happy about what happened.

 

No comments

Naijaphaze. Powered by Blogger.