Header Ads

Wilfred Ndidi : Leicester City midfielder reveals why he signed a new contract

After signing a new deal with Leicester City, Wilfred Ndidi explains the reason he snubbed offers from several clubs

Wilfred Ndidi has revealed why he signed a new contract extension with Premier League side Leicester City.

Ndidi signed a new six-year deal with Leicester City which is expected to keep him at the King Power Stadium until 2024.

The 21-year-old has been a consistent player for Claude Puel’s side after his arrival from Genk in Belgium.

The Nigeria international had the highest tackles and interceptions for Leicester City last season and has filled the void left behind by Ngolo Kante.

Speaking to LCTV after signing the new deal, Ndidi revealed the reason why he decided to extend his stay at Leicester City snubbing reported interest from giants Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

He said,  “Honestly, I’m happy because having fans like Leicester fans means a lot to players like me. I’m very, very happy about it.

“It gives me a lot of joy, because it’s not just me. Supporting the team makes me happy. With them pushing the team, everything goes well and everyone is happy.

Wilfred Ndidi stats

“I’m so happy and comfortable with everyone – the coaches, the players, the staff and the people working here. I’m very happy because everyone is friendly.

“As well as playing football, you can also learn a lifestyle outside football. I’m happy I’m growing here and I’m really looking forward [to the future].

“I feel welcome here because everyone is friendly. I’m in a place where people love me, encourage me and try to push me. I am so happy I’ve done this.”

About his record interceptions and tackles, Ndidi who won the clubs Young Player of the Year award preferred to give credit to his Leicester City teammates.

He said, “For me, I will say it’s not just me,” he added.

“It’s the players. A man cannot make a team, I think the team makes a player. I think because of my team-mates, everyone is pushing and everyone is encouraging each other.

“I would say I leave that aside, I wish we can win more games than just the stats or the tackles. I don’t look towards that area, I look towards the team winning.

“It’s gone now and we look forward to a new season. It’s started already and we’ll try to get as many points as we can. That is the most important thing.”

Leicester City

Ndidi also talked about Leicester City’s aim for this season, after picking up their first win of the season against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

He played in the Europa League while at Genk and is optimistic that the Foxes can challenge the top Premier League teams for a return to Europe.

He said, “I would say I always take things as they came and take it one step at a time.

“I don’t like thinking about what will happen in the future. I would say it starts from now and I just want us to start winning games and progressing – to get as many points as we can in every season.

 “That is the most important thing. Getting many points will lead us to the top. That’s just my aim, every season we try to push and get so many points and qualify for the Champions League or Europa League.”

Ndidi will be expected to turn out for Leicester City in their next Premier League encounter against Southampton on Saturday, August 25.

No comments

Naijaphaze. Powered by Blogger.